Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cloud adventure continued

Goodbye Amazon Cloud Front
I gave it a pretty good effort with Amazon's Cloud Front, but grew tired and confused.  If I used the S3 storage, I could not use http://www.seyfarth.tv/asm and get a default index.html.  If I set it up to feed from my own computer, it seemed to always fetch PDF files from my computer.  It also would not work with my computer down.  Fighting against down time was a big part of my reason for choosing Cloud Front.

I tried several times with both modes.  The S3 storage system uses a 24 hour time to live (TTL) by default.  I quickly grew tired of all the confusion over changing data in files.  Web sites are never static and I don't wait 24 hours very well.  I got a wide array of strange behavior during all this time.  I would use curl to view what html I should get and it would look great, but no amount of clearing cache would make any browser give me what I saw with curl.  I fail to comprehend the problem, so I have given up on Amazon's Cloud Front.

Cloud Front was dirt cheap for light usage and very fast, but at some point I decided that I had to start valuing my own time and decided to fork out money to a hosting service.  I selected Blue Host  which was rated very well for a cheap price.



Hello Blue Host
I started using the cPanel applet and installed WordPress.  This was slick looking, but the overhead was too much for me.  After much struggling and waiting for page reloads, I decided that I would not live long enough to be happy with WordPress.  I used cPanel to uninstall it and decided to do it my style - crude but effective.

I tried ssh and after a call to technical support I got connected with ssh and copied my html and pdf files to the bluehost computer.  After another round with dyndns I think I have a web site which behaves like I prefer and does not give up its connection when it's cloudy in Atlanta.

As I suggested in my book http://seyfarth.tv/asm now works.

Back to work
After approximately 2 days of tinkering I think I have a workable network solution now.  I need to work on the notes for Chapter 5 some today and try to be more focused on the goal of getting all the slides prepared.  It's hard for a geek to stick with one task for a few weeks...

No comments: