Saturday, August 20, 2011

Army Worms

My neighbor pointed out to me yesterday that my azaleas are being defoliated by an invasion of army worms.  I try to maintain my lawn and plants without using pesticides, so I will be killing some caterpillars by squishing them underfoot.

I decided to look them up on the internet.  They are indeed called army worms die to their tendency to show up in large numbers.

Apparently they like azaleas. I considered just letting them eat all they wanted. but after they finish their favorite foods they will move on to other sources.  They even like to eat your grass. In fact they can wipe out entire hay fields.

Surely there must be natural enemies to the munchers.  The little devils probably taste bad so that birds won't eat them.  I have lizards and geckos too.  These critters must be falling down on the job.

I guess for a few more days I will start the day on army worm patrol.  Who says I don't have in interesting life?

No comments: