Sunday, September 02, 2012

Returned the Mac Mini and Ordered a New One

On Friday the fourth day of Mini-time, I decided to try the Logitech driver for Mac OS X.  I downloaded it and verified that the software knew which wireless mouse I had.  Then I configured the mouse successfully.  Within 5 minutes the Mini had crashed with the noise symptom.  I contacted the seller using Amazon's return procedures and after a few messages, he approved the return.  I had the computer in the mail on Saturday morning.  The return authorization process was painless, though I would clearly have preferred that the Mini be a keeper.

After getting the authorization message I ordered a second Mac Mini, but this time I decided to go with a new computer rather than a refurbished one.  I have had moderate success with refurbished HP computers before so I figured that a refurbished Mac would be at least as good as a refurbished HP.  I am sure that there is some randomness involved and that generally a refurbished Mac would be successfully repaired, but this particular one seemed to be a lemon.

My new Mini will be a 2.4 GHz computer with 4 GB of RAM.  I have also ordered 16 GB of RAM for the computer which should arrive at roughly the same time as the computer.  An i5 computer with 16 GB of RAM should work quite well.  I certainly hope that the new Mini works well with my KVM switch since it would allow me to switch computers while remaining in my chair. Getting up from one's chair is so 2000 and lame.

No comments: