Monday, September 03, 2012

Package tracking system

There should be more accurate package tracking systems for sites like UPS, FedEx, etc.  Each package is already given an identifier.  When a package is added to a container, the container would have an ID which would be used to track the package.  When a package or container is placed in a truck then the truck's ID would be used to track the package or container.  Similarly packages could be associated with planes or ships.  At the vehicle level tracking could be done using a GPS system on the vehicle connected to the shipper's network.

With this system I could see that a package left Memphis 3 hours ago and was now passing through Yazoo City.  With the current system packages frequently retain the same status for a day or more.  I really doubt that many packages sit still for more than an hour or two here and there.

I wonder if someone already has a patent on this improved package tracking system?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing26 your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!…

Unknown said...

Thanks for the warm comment. I was awaiting several items when I wrote the post. It should be quite doable. I expect that it will happen.

Anonymous said...

hey hey!! this is a very nice website here and I just wanted to comment & say that you've done a great job here! Very nice choice of colors & layout, very easy on the eyes.. Nicely done!…