Tuesday, June 12, 2012

No color book ;-(

I have started revising my assembly book with the primary change being the description of using ebe for code development.  Ebe uses a handful of different colors, so it would be nice to print the next edition in color.  The number of screen shots in the book would be perhaps 50 and each picture could be arranged to use a small amount of toner.  It seemed possible that if Create Space used some sort of printer a bit like a laser printer that perhaps a color edition of my book might be moderately cheap.

I submitted a question to Create Space and the answer was 12 cents per page for the whole book if there were any color on the inside.   Assuming about 300 pages this would be $36.00 just for the per-page printing cost and the original book's list price was $29.95, so the price would need to be about twice as much.  This is clearly not a sensible decision.  I think that a color book for the same price might increase sales, but twice as much money sounds excessive.  That would be something like the typical book cost and I personally want to keep the cost down.   It might be possible to sell more expensive books, but I don't want to waste people's money.

I modified the ebe program to accept a "-g" command line option to switch it into a grayscale mode which should result in higher quality images than converting color images to grayscale.  Now I am back to work updating the book.

No comments: