Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Kindle version done

I decided to start on the Kindle version of my assembly book today.  I consulted this see what I had done before with htlatex.  I converted the book using htlatex and then ran it through calibre to convert to a .mobi file.  My math and table fonts were a little small and too light, so I did a google search and found where I had posted my solution to this problem from last year.

I also had a problem with images from screenshots being too blurry.  Google rapidly found a solution to convert the .eps file to .png bypassing the use of the .dvi file.  That issue was easily solved.

It is now done, though the width of the screen on the Kindle is a little too narrow for my wishes.  Of course the Kindle will allow rotating 90 degrees, but the Nook doesn't.  I will format my epub version tomorrow.

I don't pretend to know the exact reasons but I get a lot more sales from Amazon than from B&N.  I think it's about 10 to 1.  Does this spell DOOM for B&N?  I think B&N might keep on selling if they can keep their stores on college campuses.  If Amazon smells that money, then B&N might be toast.

No comments: