Monday, December 12, 2011

Fluxbox rules!

I have gotten sick of taskbars.  You can autohide them and get pretty much complete use of all your screen space, but, no matter where you hide them - bottom, top, left or right, they will get in your way.  So I have tried quite a few window managers recently.  After much struggle with gnome, kde, xfce, blackbox, etc. I have come back several times to fluxbox.  I like the fact that you can set keyboard and mouse short-cuts in ~/.fluxbox/keys.  I have it set so that I can start nearly all the programs I normally want to run with no menu system at all.

So I've gone one step further, I have made the taskbar invisible.  I can bring up the fluxbox root menu using the windows-key with a right mouse click.  So I can always get to a menu without wasting screen space.  The biggest drawback I have noticed is the lack of a windows list in the taskbar.  Still I can use alt-tab to move through the windows rapidly enough when the window I want isn't visible. The next problem is not having a desktop switcher app in the toolbar.  I can move through the desktops using alt-ctrl and the arrow keys, so this is not hard at all to do without.

So, after much struggle, I have settled on a minimal interface.  Not one pixel is wasted on a toolbar.  No toolbar jumps over my applications no matter where I move the mouse.  I can immediately get to the menu at any point to try to find one of the infrequently-used programs on my system.

There is no need for any more window manager development.  I was frustrated by the Ubuntu switch to Unity, but the net result is that I will probably stick with fluxbox and ignore all the nonsense with all the window managers which change yearly apparently just to confuse the users.

Did I mention that fluxbox is immediately ready when I finish entering my password?  Take that, KDE!  No more Unity with its confusing almost-menu system.  Who needs that junk?  Taskbars are a wicked Windows invention!


1 comment:

Thomas said...

Yeah, you're so right. Just about to switch this off.

Cheers.