Sunday, October 23, 2011

Nook Book now on Sale

From all I had seen I expected the Nook version (EPUB format) of my Assembly Language book to be a snap.  It was relatively easy, but not quite trivial.

Problem number 1 for the Nook was that the Nook didn't allow view in landscape mode.  My assembly code has a moderate number of end-of-line comments.  Many of these wrapped onto the next line.  With the Kindle I had been able to view my book in landscape mode which handled at least 3/4 of the lines properly.  I had quite a few lines to repair.  Some I fixed with creative substitutions, but some I had to extend onto the next line.

The next problem worth reporting is having a 2 appear at the top of one set of exercises.  This 2 came from the second list item.  It made no sense that the 2 would appear at the top of the page.  The same HTML rendered properly on the Kindle.  Eventually I removed all <p> and </p> tags from that set of exercises.  I also converted a <blockquote> section to preformatted.  Now the same HTML works for Nook and Kindle.

It was perhaps 4 hours work to repair things for the Nook.  It is now available for sale.

The Nook version is EPUB format which should be portable to iPad, Sony eReader and most other devices.  It is DRM-free so people shouldn't run into DRM roadblocks.

No comments: